Wow, it’s that time of the year again – and the castle re-opened on the 1 April for the 2010 season. I can’t believe that it has come around again already! The Winter has been very long, and the castle unfortunately suffered its fair share of snow and associated leaks.
We had a pleasantly busy Easter with lots of egg hunters inside and outside the castle. Here are the updates/changes for this year:
- We have a new Great Hall carpet, the money for which was kindly donated. It looks fabulous and has a lovely bouncy underlay!
- We received new blinds to replace broken ones, and for rooms that had never previously had them. Existing ones that could be fixed, were also.
- The old film on the windows has now been replaced after many years with fresh UV film to stop nasty light coming in to spoil the collection.
- Furniture has been put back to original positions in some of the rooms to improve visitor experience.
- More items are again on display after repair etc.
- We have also been updating information for visitors.
- The Dining Room ceiling has finally been fixed, yay!
- We have more heating, also donated – extra yay here from experience
- We have some new stuff in the shop along with old favourites
- The castle restaurant is doing really well, phone to book.
That’s all I can remember for now!
In my research world, I was fortunate after three years of searching to finally find a living Fraser of the line. We had previously thought that the line had died out, but it turns out the younger brother’s line is alive and well! I have been happily updating records for this.
My next project is for the estate, and I am currently documenting all that I can find about the castle estate workers and house servants. This will be really useful for enquiries, and give us a much better bigger picture of how the house the castle and estate were run.
Don’t forget to visit us! I will post any event news as soon as I have it.